Are you preparing for a special family visit? Perhaps your parents live abroad and they are coming to stay for a couple of weeks? Maybe you are welcoming family that you have not seen in years? No matter who is coming to stay at your home, it is important to make them welcome, which is why you need to prepare effectively. Read on to discover the steps you need to take.
Get rid of all of the clutter
– There is only one place to begin, and this is with de-cluttering. If your house is overflowing with belongings, now is the time to take action. Clutter can make your house look smaller, and it can make it very difficult to relax, which is the last thing you want when you are welcoming special guests. If you can’t bring yourself to get rid of any of your belongings, you should put it in storage. There are companies like Pink Self Storage that will pick up your belongings and put them in storage for you. This means you can de-clutter without the hassle, ensuring you have a welcoming and spacious space for your guests.
Stock up the bathroom
– While you need to de-clutter your house, one room that you should add to is the bathroom. It is important to make sure you have all of the supplies your guests could need. After all, there is nothing worse than being stuck on the toilet at someone else’s house with no toilet roll! Avoid any awkward encounters by stocking up on the likes of toilet roll, air fresheners, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shaving cream, razors, feminine products, and mouthwash.
Make sure the bedroom is comfortable
– The next step is to ensure that the guest bedroom is comfortable. There are a number of different ways you can do this. Firstly, make sure there are spare pillows and blankets available should your guests want to use them. You should also ensure there is a fan in the room (if you don’t have air conditioning or any other cooling method). This enables your guests to adjust the temperature to suit what is comfortable for them.
Get the lighting right
– It is imperative to get the lighting right so you can keep your guests comfortable. Don’t merely rely on harsh overhead lighting. This will make it difficult for everyone to relax, and it could result in your guests getting headaches, which is the last thing you want. You should think about installing dimmers on your overhead fixtures, especially in the dining room. In the guest bedroom, make sure there is a reading light, so your guests can read and relax before they go to sleep.
Offer forms of entertainment
– Most people worry when they have guests because they feel like they need to entertain them all of the time. You can get rid of this problem, and ensure your guests always have a bit of light entertainment, by having books available and other forms of entertainment, like puzzle books. Your guests may not use them, but it is always nice to have the option there.